1/08/2010

Does Confidence Equal Ability?

Just read this post over on Open Education.  They mention a survey, Young people's writing: Attitudes, behaviour and the role of technology, done by the National Literacy Trust in the UK and it got me wondering - why are we only asking students about their own confidence in their abilities?  Seems like a bit of a no brainer to me that students who are confident in their reading and writing abilities do more of it .... but does that high self-confidence translate into better abilities?  I'm off to read the survey and see if they address my question or not.  More Later.
Back again a couple of months later - the survey doesn't address abilities at all, just students' own judgements of their own literacy.  Call me dense, I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment